By creating an account, I agree to the
Choose your country and language:
WWhen it comes to post recovery and recuperation, going on safari is a good choice. This is especially so in South Africa, a country at the forefront of cutting-edge medical procedures. The country’s history of excellence and innovation in health care makes it a serious contender in the health tourism industry, one of the fastest-growing tourism trends.
For several years South Africa, especially Cape Town, has been a popular place for international visitors to undergo surgery, after which they spend their time recuperating and enjoying the beauty that the country has to offer. This trend has not only continued but it has grown considerably, so much so that South Africa enjoys a reputation for being one of the safest and most affordable places in the world to undergo surgery.
AA big part of this is cosmetic surgery. South African doctors enjoy a very good reputation in most parts of the world, and plastic surgeons are no exception. An entire industry of cosmetic surgery tourism exists with packaged deals for tourists, involving cosmetic surgery combined with a holiday. A number of travel agencies facilitate this, combining accommodation bookings and sightseeing itineraries with various cosmetic procedures, such as Surgeon and Safari.
If you are coming to South Africa for medical treatment, whether cosmetic or otherwise, there are several important things to consider:
1. Make sure that you liaise with any potential surgeons before making any bookings—either logistical or surgical. It is important that your suitability for surgery be carefully assessed up front.
2. Ensure that your surgeon is fully qualified and affiliated with all necessary associations and councils. These should include the Health Professions Council of South Africa, the Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of Southern Africa, and the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
3. As with any surgery, confirm whether your surgeon makes use of a specialist anaesthetist. While many surgeons make use of general practitioners for sedation, a specialist is a safer option—though there are cost implications.
4. The type of anaesthetic used will also affect the cost. Query this prior to booking your procedure.
5. Any medical insurance will be your responsibility alone, and payment is often required in full prior to surgery. Note that most cosmetic surgery rates are above those covered by medical insurance, and some form of co-payment is usually required.
6. Patients need to plan their trips sensibly, ensuring that they have a minimum of two to three days in the country prior to their surgery to conduct formal consultations and discuss the procedure in detail.
Khosi Tyobeka, Zimase Travel
Khosi Tyobeka has built her business around making travelling easy and accessible. Her company, Zimasa Travel, provides tailor-made travel solutions; from planning to the execution of travel or conference needs. The award winning entrepreneur’s flair for business runs in her family. When she was growing up her mother operated a food business in their small village in the North West Province .
Millicent Shai: Founder and owner of Thaba Legae Guest Lodge
When one thinks of tourism in South Africa, the North West Province and its Magaliesberg mountain range and lush bushes come to mind. Not new to leisure and travel, the province has always held its baton, offering the famous Sun City resort and its surrounding holiday destinations. The province’s natural beauty has always added to the allure.
In the footsteps of forefathers – Taung Heritage Route, North West
Taung Heritage Route is part of the Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site and includes the site where a 2.5-million-year-old fossilised skull of a hominid child was found.
Go on, spoil yourself with a weekend getaway with the girls
Here’s our top picks on where to let your hair down, toast to great friendships with KwaZulu-Natal’s scenic landscape as a backdrop
Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve - ecotourism at its sweetest
It’s so close to Joburg you can see the city skyline from some vantage points. But you’re still in the wild— with over 200 species of birds, big game animals and predators
Game viewing from the saddle of your mountain bike
Mountain biking through the Kruger National Park is a wonderful way to get up close and personal with the local terrain – and to see some fascinating and beautiful creatures .
A safari adventure for the whole family
Taking your children on safari is an amazing adventure for the whole family to enjoy together.
South Africa on social media