Choose your country and language:
WWhether you are a surfer or a sunbather, South Africa is home to the perfect beach for you. South Africa’s Blue Flag beaches are on par with the best beaches in the world. Located along the extensive 3200km-long coastline, these beaches are conserved and protected through strict ethics that honour the environment.
Sixty-two Blue Flags will be proudly flown at 44 beaches, seven marinas and by 11 sustainable tourism boats around South Africa over the forthcoming 2017/18 South African Blue Flag season. South Africa was the first country, outside of Europe, to introduce the Blue Flag programme, in November 2001. Locally, the initiative has grown from just three beaches in the first year to 41 beaches in 2015/16 to 62 in 2018. Since its launch in 1987, the Blue Flag programme has continued to grow, not only regarding the number of member countries and sites involved but also in its range of expertise within marine and freshwater environments.
TThe Western Cape has achieved the highest number of Blue Flag sites, with 28 of the beaches, all 11 boats and six of the seven Blue Flag marinas falling in the province. This shows an increase of three Blue Flag boats from the previous season and one additional marina.
KwaZulu-Natal again has nine Blue Flag beaches for the 2017/18 season. Seven beaches and one marina have been awarded the eco-label in the Eastern Cape, which is on par with the previous season.
AAn additional 22 beaches across the three provinces will participate in the Pilot Programme. Internationally, over 4400 beaches, boats and marinas currently hold Blue Flag status more than 40 countries. The Blue Flag website is extremely informative and offers information on each beach's location, the number of lifeguards, parking, average water temperature, special birds or animals that can be seen, and facilities.
The programme is designed to raise environmental awareness and increase sound environmental practices among tourists, local populations and beach management.
HHere are the Blue Flag beaches you can visit in the relevant province...
- Hobie Beach, Port Elizabeth
- Dolphin Beach, Jeffreys Bay
- Humewood Beach, Port Elizabeth
- Kariega Beach, Kenton-on-Sea
- Kelly's Beach, Port Alfred
- Kings Beach, Port Elizabeth
- Hamburg, near East London
- uShaka, North Coast
- Westbrook, North Coast
- Lucien Beach, South Coast
- Hibberdene, South Coast
- Ramsgate, South Coast
- Marina/San Lameer Beach, South Coast
- Southport, South Coast
- Trafalgar Beach, South Coast
- Umzumbe (Pumula) Beach, South Coast
- Bikini Beach, Gordon's Bay
- Brenton-on-Sea, near Knysna
- Buffalo Bay Beach, near Knysna
- Camps Bay Beach, Cape Town
- Clifton 4th Beach, Cape Town
- De Bakke, Mossel Bay
- Fish Hoek, False Bay
- Grotto Beach, Hermanus
- Hartenbos Beach, Mossel Bay
- Hawston Beach, near Hermanus
- Keurboomstrand, near Plettenberg Bay
- Klein Brak Beach, near George
- Kleinmond Beach, near Hermanus
- Lappiesbaai Beach, Stilbaai
- Llandudno, Cape Town
- Lookout Beach, Plettenberg Bay
- Mnandi Beach, Cape Town
- Muizenberg Beach, Cape Town
- Melkbosstrand, Cape West Coast
- Natures' Valley, near Plettenberg Bay
- Preekstoel, near Still Bay
- Robberg 5th, Plettenberg Bay
- Silwerstroomrand, Cape Town
- Singing Kettle, Keurboomstrand
- Strandfontein Beach, near Cape Town
- Struisbaai Beach, Cape Agulhas
- The Dunes, Keurboomstrand
- Witsand Beach, the mouth of the Breede River