Did you know?
Sir George Napier chose the name "Wellington" for the town when it was established in 1840 in honour of The Duke Of Wellington.
Wellington, which is within 45 minutes' drive of Cape Town, is located in a scenic part of the Boland at the foot of the Hawequas mountains.
This little town was once the gateway to the interior and experienced something of a boom during the diamond rush in Kimberley in the late 19th century, as travellers to the north would navigate through the narrow Bainskloof Pass.
Established by French Hugenot's in 1688, the town was originally called Limietvalley (Limit Valley), and then later renamed Wagenmakersvallei (Wagon Makers' Valley) as many wagon makers settled and made their living here.
Eventually, in 1840, after the Duke of Wellington's defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo, it was renamed Wellington by then Governor of the Cape Sir George Napier.
Today, Wellington's scenic location, fertile soil and relatively easy access to Cape Town have made it a popular tourist destination. There are many guest houses on surrounding farms, good restaurants, a wine route and the historic Bainskloof Pass (where leopards still roam). The area lends itself to outdoor pursuits like horse riding and mountain biking.
The Dutch Reformed Church in Wellington, which dates back to the 1840s, is a spectacular piece of architecture.The town is also an academic hub, with the Huguenot College and Cape Peninsula University of Technology among is list of education institutions.