Outdoor adventure and golf
Did you know?
Legend Golf & Safari Resort is home to a unique Signature Course where each of the 18 holes has been designed by a world golfing legend. But even more remarkable is the Extreme 19th, only accessible by helicopter and played to an Africa-shaped green 400m below.
There are a wide variety of exhilarating outdoor and adventure activities in South Africa.
Whether you're playing on a championship golf course, free diving with tiger sharks, abseiling off Lion's Head or river-rafting down the Thukela - there's an outdoor adventure activity for you.
At South Africa's southernmost tip, Cape Agulhas, aquamarine seas, white beaches, dolphins, whales and turtles provide moments of pleasure for those who are brave enough to take on the elements.
For hardcore adventurers there's abseiling, paragliding, micro-lighting, canyoning (kloofing) and diving with predators such as great white sharks and crocodiles. For those who prefer milder adventures, horse-riding on the beach, hot air ballooning over mountains and wildlife reserves, walking through forests, and hiking in our national parks are some activities to savour.
Fishing, angling, surfing and water sports are also on offer and with nearly 3000km of coastline, those who enjoy the water are spoilt for choice. Why not go scuba diving in Sodwana, deepsea fishing in St Lucia, surfing in Jeffrey's Bay or whale-spotting in Hermanus? For those who love bird-watching, there are so many excellent places to get your fix, such as Nylsvley in Limpopo (a renowned RAMSAR site), Ndumo Game Reserve in KwaZulu-Natal and the world-famous Kruger National Park.
Cycling, canoeing, swimming and running marathons are also very popular in South Africa, with the country hosting annual international and extreme marathons such as the Pick n Pay Argus Cycle Tour, the Comrades Marathon, the Berg River Canoe Marathon, the Midmar Mile, the Absa Cape Epic Cycle Race and the Two Oceans Marathon.
South Africa has produced some of the top golfing greats, and we have some of the best golf courses in the world. There are more than 600 golf courses in South Africa with many a fairway overlooking the ocean or surrounded by majestic mountain ranges, some with wildlife wandering around and even an extreme golf course.
Outdoor and adventure highlights:
• Bloukrans Bungee jumping in the Eastern Cape
• Whale-watching along the Overberg and Garden Route
• Diving with tiger sharks and raggies (Ragged Tooth Sharks) at Aliwal Shoal along the Elephant Coast
• Abseiling Blyde (Motlatse) River Canyon
• Hiking along the rugged Wild Coast
• Horse-riding along Noordhoek Beach
• Enjoying a turtle safari in Kosi Bay
• Hot-air ballooning over the Magaliesberg
• Cycling Long Tom's Pass in Mpumalanga
• Climbing an icy waterfall in the Drakensberg during the heart of winter
• Playing the legendary Gary Player golf courses at Sun City
• Watching the whales frolic as you putt in Hermanus
• Sneaking in some game viewing as you take on the fairways in Mpumalanga
• Following in the footsteps of Gary Player, Retief Goosen and Ernie Els as you play on South Africa's championship golf courses
• Paying a visit to the Arabella Country Club in Kleinmond, Western Cape - bordering on a scenic lagoon and home to the Nelson Mandela Invitational
• Enjoying 18 holes designed by Jack Nicklaus in the gorgeous Cape Winelands