International Awards for Tourism
South Africa's trophy cabinet is well stacked with international awards for tourism. They are signifiers of our global competitiveness and innovation. Here are some of the international tourism-based awards received in the past year:
- In the prestigious Travel & Leisure magazine's World Best Awards 2010 - Cape Town's Cape Grace took 2nd place as one of the best hotels in the Middle East and Africa. Royal Malewane in the Kruger National Park, Singita Sabi Sand and Singita Kruger National Park all walked off with honours as part of the top 10 Resorts and Lodges in the Middle East and Africa. In terms of City Hotels, the Cape Grace, the Saxon Boutique Hotel & Spa and the Westcliff were all singled out for excellence (amongst many other South African properties).
- In the recent Conde Nast Traveller Magazine Reader's Travel Awards 2010, South Africa came out tops when it was voted as the 9th Best Destination int he world. Cape Town was voted the world's 13th greatest city - pipping Marrakech and Shanghai to the post. In the same poll, Pezula Resort Hotel Hotel and Spa was voted one of the top three spas in the world.
- In the 2010 Commonwealth Business Council Awards in Africa South Africa won the Tourism Destination of the Year Award.
- South African Tourism recently won a coveted Magellan Award for the 'Food, Wine & South African Tales' campaign.
- In April 2010, South Africa won the Indian 'Bird Express Travel Award' for excellence in operations.
- The S.Pellegrino 100 World's Best Restaurant Awards placed two South African restaurants in the 2010 top 50 world's best restaurants: La Colombe in Constantia and Le Quartier Francais in Franschhoek.
- In the 2009 TripAdvisor Traveller's Choice awards some of the top accolades went to South Africa including Derwent House Boutique Hotel and Cape Heritage Hotels - both in the Western Cape.
- The Vergelegen wine estate was announced Global winner in the 2009 Best of Wine Tourism Award in the Innovative wine Tourism Experiences category.
- In the International Wine and Spirits Competition South African brandy, KWV Founders Reserve Brandy, won gold at the International Wine and Spirits Competition.