Did you know?
While most people think of the Kruger National Park in terms of animal life, it is also home to 1 982 different plant species.
There are so many wilderness and bushveld experiences in South Africa, and being allowed into nature’s sacred arena is a compelling privilege indeed.
Go on walking tours in the bushveld with an experienced ranger as you track animals in their natural habitat. Or view the Big 5 up-close-and-personal from a secluded hide in the middle of nowhere.
Examine the stars as you are serenaded by a family of hyena and contemplate the silence as an inky African sky envelopes you on a warm summer evening.
Whether it’s at a bushveld breakaway bosberaad (bush summit), a wilderness team-building experience or an overnight stay in a luxury game lodge, no visit to South Africa is complete without a brush with the wilderness.
A safari in South Africa can range from the epitome of luxury to camping under the Milky Way.
Unforgettable bushveld experiences
• Sip cocktails at sunset while watching animals come down to a waterhole to drink at the end of the day.
• Go on a night safari and spot an elusive leopard out on a hunt.
• Spend the night in a treetop retreat under a starry sky – it’s just you and the sounds of the African night.
• Stay in a tented bush camp in the height of luxury.
• Take a guided walk along a wilderness trail, with experienced guides to teach you about the various animals, trees and vegetation.
• Learn to be a game ranger for a day.
• Eat crocodile, warthog and impala in an outdoor boma and listen to bush stories around a crackling fire.
• Pick your safari: Go on a rhino walking safari; a stargazing safari, a birding safari or a tree-spotting safari – the choice is yours.
• Enjoy a muscle-melting massage on the deck of your luxury game lodge as nature throws in the background music.
• Take part in a ‘green hunting’ expedition (darting and relocation of wild animals).
• Visit a local village on the outskirts of a game reserve and see how tourism has contributed to jobs and development in local rural communities.
Travel tips & Planning info
Who to contact
South African National Parks (Central Reservations)
Tel: +27 (0)12 428 9111
Cell: +27 (0)82 233-9111