South African Tourism board appoints new Chairperson
He will guide the organisation in better serving the industry and ensuring that this sector continues to grow.
Following the resignation of the Chairperson of the Board of South African Tourism, Mr Frank Kilbourn last week, Minister of Tourism Mr Derek Hanekom has appointed Mr. Zwelibanzi Mntambo as the new Chairperson of the board with immediate effect.
Minister Hanekom congratulated the new Chairperson on his appointment: “I am very pleased to have Zweli as the new leader of the board. His vast experience in the tourism industry coupled with his strategic leadership and management skills will certainly ensure that South African Tourism achieves its mandate. Tourism is a very important sector in our economy and as we put all our efforts in ensuring that we achieve the goals as set out in the National Development Plan (NDP), we need a capable leader who is innovative and results driven. I know that in Zweli, the board has all these qualities and that he will guide the organisation in better serving the industry and ensuring that this sector continues to grow.”
Mntambo will lead the following SA Tourism Board members who were appointed for a period of three (3) years, commencing on 1 June 2012:
1. Ms. Siza Mzimela: Executive Chairperson, Blue Crane Aviation
2. Mr. Kananelo Makhetha: Managing Director (MD) of Connex Travel
3. Ms. Tumi Makgabo: Executive Producer of Tumi &Co, a Broadcast and Media Production Company
4. Mr. Graham Wood: Deputy Chairperson of the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa (TGCSA)
5. Dr Ayanda Ntsaluba: Executive Director of Discovery Holdings
6. Mr. Monwabisi Kalawe: Chief Executive officer at South African Airways
7. Mr. Allan Moore: Former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Board of Airline Representatives of South Africa (BARSA)
8. Mr. Thebe Ikalafeng: Founder and CEO of Brand Leadership Group, South Africa
9. Mr. Dirk van Schalkwyk: Chief Operating Officer at the National Department of Tourism
10. Mr. Thulani Nzima: The Chief Executive Officer of South African Tourism, is an ex officio member of the board
11. Mr. Tom Bouwer: as the Chief Finance Officer, of South African Tourism is an ex officio member of the board
South African Tourism is the national tourism agency responsible for marketing South Africa as a premier tourism destination internationally and domestically. It aims to make tourism the leading economic sector in South Africa, and so promote sustainable economic and social development.