South Africa's golden hotels and lodges
If there is one overriding theme among these regions, it’s the dominance of South Africa. The country, about twice the size of Texas, remains a powerhouse with almost half of the properties on these lists. – Condé Nast Traveler.
Based on the opinions of its discriminating, worldly and well-travelled readers, Condé Nast Traveler’s Gold List is an authoritative indicator of world-class quality. Just released is the 2013 Gold List, which reveals that South Africa leads the Africa and Middle East category.
States the Condé Nast Traveler website: 'If there is one overriding theme among these regions, it’s the dominance of South Africa. The country, about twice the size of Texas, remains a powerhouse, with almost half of the properties on these lists. In fact, the 7 highest scoring properties in the whole of Africa and the Middle East are in South Africa.'
The 14 South African listings are well known as super-luxurious and well-managed beacons of the local hospitality industry. Six of them are safari camps.
The 14 Gold List South African establishments are:
- Singita Sabi Sand, Sabi Sand Reserve
- Cape Grace, Cape Town
- Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town
- Steenberg Hotel, Cape Town
- Table Bay Hotel, Cape Town
- Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, Cape Town
- Victoria and Alfred Hotel, Cape Town
- Le Quartier Francais, Franschhoek
- Saxon Boutique Hotel, Johannesburg
- MalaMala Game Reserve, Sabi Sand Reserve
- Singita Kruger National Park
- Lion Sands, Sabi Sands
- Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve, Sabi Sand Reserve
- Londolozi, Sabi Sand Reserve
Condé Nast also assigns those hotels and resorts that have made it on to the Gold List for 5 consecutive years a position in an exclusive category of winners known as the Platinum Circle. Enjoying inclusion on the list this year are Cape Town's Cape Grace, the Table Bay Hotel, and the Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa. They are joined by 5 properties in and around the Kruger National Park: MalaMala Game Reserve, Singita Kruger National Park, Singita Sabi Sand, Londolozi, and Sabi Sabi Private Game Reserve.