The Johannesburg Art Gallery
Did you know?
The Johannesburg Art Gallery building is a national monument.
The Johannesburg Art Gallery was first opened in 1910 on the campus of The University of Witwatersrand. Since 1915, it has been housed in a building designed by Edward Lutyens, in Joubert Park, in the heart of Johannesburg's city centre.
The Johannesburg Art Gallery’s original collection was assembled by Sir Hugh Lane. After being exhibited in London, it was brought to South Africa.
Over the last 100 years, the Johannesburg Art Gallery’s collection has grown. Today it includes 17th century Dutch paintings, 18th and 19th century British and European art, 19th century South African works, a large contemporary collection of 20th century local and international art, and a print cabinet containing works from the 15th century to the present.
Highlights of the South African collection include the works of Gerard Sekoto, Alexis Preller, Maud Sumner, Sydney Kumalo and Ezrom Legae.
In addition to conventional art, the Johannesburg Art Gallery features many traditional African pieces, such as jewellery in the form of necklaces and bracelets made of beads. It also features works in rock, wood, tyre, wire, cement, clay and ceramic as well as bronze and metal. The gallery's collection also includes some of the most highly valued antiques and lacework in the country.
With the largest art collection in Africa, the Jo'burg Art Gallery's 15 exhibition halls and sculpture gardens display only about 10 percent of its entire collection at any one time.
In addition to its own collection, the gallery also regularly hosts temporary displays by particular artists or on particular themes.
The gallery is funded by a trust, as well as through generous sponsorship from both Anglo-American and the City of Johannesburg.
Travel tips & Planning info
Who to contact
Johannesburg Art Gallery
Tel: +27 (0) 11 725 3130