Ten reasons to visit the Waterberg
The Waterberg region in Limpopo is a beautiful area and just a 2-hour drive from Johannesburg.
Here are 10 things to do in the area.
- Hiking – there are plenty of hiking routes through this beautiful region. The terrain offers many great options, from the Waterberg Mountains to the open plains.
- Golfing – there are spectacular golf courses, including the Legends Golf and Safari Resort, which offers a $1-million prize for a hole-in-one on its 19th hole – accessed via helicopter. It makes for one of the most unique golfing experiences.
- Hot springs – Bela Bela is one of the great attractions in the region because of its natural, healing hot springs. Bela Bela means ‘boiling boiling’ in Tswana.
- Adventure – the region offers everything from game viewing on horseback, to 4X4 trails, ballooning, endurance runs, swimming with horses and elephant adventures.
- Game viewing – this is Big 5 country and a number of lodges and estates offer game drives. If you are lucky you will get to see some white lions. One establishment even offers game viewing on quad bikes.
- Spa treatments – what better place to relax than in the African bush? Experience a massage surrounded by nature, or spend an hour or 2 in a jacuzzi with just the birds for company. Spas in the area offer world-class treatments in unique settings.
- Rock art – there are a number of private reserves in the area that have spectacular rock art collections. It is essential to make a booking to gain access to the paintings.
- Birding – the Nylsvley floodplain is the largest of its kind in the southern hemisphere, and is one of the top birding spots in the country. You will see everything from kingfishers and storks to the spectacular fish eagle.
- Arts and crafts – the area is rich in arts and crafts. Drive along any road and you are sure to see plenty of stalls offering locally produced crafts.
- Lodges – the area is saturated with lodges that cater to every need and pocket, so whether you just want to go for a nice Sunday lunch, a game drive or some adventure, there are lodges that offer it all.