Taking the cake
In South Africa you can have your cake and eat it too. Why not give your taste buds are whirl at:
- Moemas Patisserie and Food Shop in Parktown North is where you will find the most incredible mini lemon-meringue pies (among lots of other tasty treats). The coffee is pretty good too.
- Petits Fours in Randburg has a cake boutique that offers decadent red velvet cakes, gorgeous carrot cakes and death-by-chocolate chocolate brownies. (Tel: +27 (0)11 782 1778)
- The Patisserie in Illovo has a reputation stretching far and wide for its gorgeous sweet treats, which include take-home Turkish delights and colourful macaroons (Tel: +27 (0)11 268 0022)
- Junipa's in Bryanston is another great spot to pop in for coffee and cake – and its artisanal breads are fantastic.
- Isabella’s Cake and Food Shops in Groenkloof and Waterkloof are worth a visit. Try the butterscotch fudge, the cheesecake-baked nougat or the Amarula and cappuccino meringue cake.
- Queen of Tarts cake gallery in Woodstock has an array of delectable treats ... and you can book yourself a cake-making course on which you can learn to make its chocolate and almond cake, or rocky road and raspberry tarts.
- Stop off at Charly’s Bakery for delectable treats. Charly’s makes cakes on order, and its double chocolate cheesecake is the stuff legends are made of.
- The One&Only Cape Town now offers an afternoon tea with gorgeous delectable treats, thanks to executive pastry chef Rene Simatos. Every afternoon an oversized table in the vista lounge is dressed up with an astonishing assortment of delicious eats, including cakes, tartlets, chocolate delights and savouries. Local delicacies such as the traditional koeksister (doughnut coated in syrup in a braided shape) are also on the menu.
Category: Food & Wine