Offbeat options for the unfazed traveller
So, you’re looking for something a little quirky, a little offbeat, a little different in terms of attractions/accommodation/fun? Here’s our list for those who believe ordinary is for others:
1. Credo Mutwa Cultural Village in Soweto. An outdoor exhibition of traditional healer Credo Mutwa's artworks.
2. The Owl House in Nieu Bethesda. Take a once-in-a-lifetime trip to view the world according to artist Helen Martins.
3. The Panty Bar on the West Coast. The most famous pub in Paternoster, and for a very strange reason. You'll hear all about it from the locals, over a pint or two.
4. The Castle in Clarens. There's a bed and breakfast in Clarens that doubles as a Castle. Book out the entire place ... it's the stuff fairytales are made of.
5. Go on an art safari in Limpopo with Open Africa and learn about South Africa's great Venda artists (and buy some incredible works of art).
6. Stay in rooftop trailer in Cape Town. Not so much trailer trash, the Airstream Rooftop Trailer Park at the Grand Daddy Hotel is a funky and fun place to lay your head.
7. Take a pilgrimage to the Voice of the Earth Eco-Shrine in Hogsback, Eastern Cape. New-agers love the place – the brainchild of Diana Graham and a gorgeous art instillation that frames the natural beauty of the area.
8. Sleep in the old jail in Philipolis. This is definitely not boutique-style accommodation. Rumour has it you'll have a ghost or two to keep you company.
9. Desert-trek to the AfrikaBurn festival in the Northern Cape. South Africa’s version of Burning Man and every excuse to play dress-up in the desert.
10. Take a cycling tour through Alexandra township with Mulaudzi Tours – and get to know a little bit more about life in this urban settlement.