Look out for the tea caravan in the Overberg
If you happen to be travelling around Stanford, Hermanus, Elgin and Greyton in the next week, you might just spot this colourful caravan and its enthusiastic occupants, Jessica Bonin (of Lady Bonin's Tea Parlour) and Thaya Bedford (of Love Overberg), who are embarking on a week-long #GonzoTeaTrek to showcase the Overberg area.
Jessica started Lady Bonin's Tea Parlour in an old caravan four years ago and says that her little caravan was a pioneer in the food-truck business.
Travelling to markets and festivals, she turned her passion for tea into a thriving business by selling her fresh and exotic brews out of the caravan.
She now owns a tea parlour in trendy Woodstock and supplies many top hotels. Air France magazine also named her caravan as one of Cape Town's top 10 attractions.
Travel writer Thaya is a social media strategist who founded Love Overberg last year, and is also celebrating the establishment of The Wanderlust Club (a social media agency in the Overberg).
Together, they want to highlight ethical, green businesses, movements and projects in the areas they will be travelling through, in between opening the Tea Caravan to hand out a little tea and love to anyone who happens to be around.
It's 'a bit like a mobile Mad Hatter's tea party', says Thaya. 'Keep an eye out for unusual "tea pairings", yoga in weird and wonderful places, raw food and even vegan wines!'
You can see the #GonzoTeaTrek here:
- Wednesday 2 July: Tea and honey pairing at Graze in Stanford, Mad Hatter's Tea Party at The Last Resort, and accommodation at Stanford Country Cottages
- Thursday 3 July: Picnic basket from Klein River Cheese, visit to Agulhas Honeybush Tea farm, exploring the coast, and accommodation at Whalesong Lodge in De Kelders
- Friday 4 July: 'True Harvest' event: yoga, raw food and organic treatment morning in Stanford by Mioja, tea and Von Geusau chocolate pairing in Greyton, and accommodation at The Blue Hippo
- Saturday 5 July: Tea caravan at the Greyton Market, and accommodation and good times at Old Mac Daddy Airstream trailer park in Elgin
- Sunday 6 July: Lunch and vegan wine tasting at South Hill, cider pairing and wholefood delights at Everson's Cider, and accommodation at South Hill
- Monday 7 July: Visit to Gabrielskloof and Sharklady Adventures, gluten-free dinner at Fabio's, and accommodation at High Season Farm
- Tuesday 8 July: Explore Hemel & Aarde Valley, lunch at Dutchies on the Blue Flag Grotto Beach, and accommodation at the Stanford Hotel
Use the hashtag #GonzoTeaTrek to follow them on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Google+.