Kimberley hosts Maloof Money Cup 2012
Last year, Kimberley became the 1st location outside of the United States to host the Maloof Money Cup. The annual event attracts the biggest names in skateboarding, including Greg Lutzka, Manny Santiago and Andrew Reynolds, as well as entertainers like Lil Wayne.
The Maloof Money Cup consists of both a vertical ramp and a street section, and takes place in Kimberley again this year, from 28 to 30 September. In addition to big international names, 3 South African skaters, Christi Wiehahn, Moses Adams and Dlamini Dlamini, will take part in the street-skating section of the event.
Kimberley is most famous for the Big Hole – a 240m-deep former mining site – as well as for being the 1st place in the southern hemisphere to enjoy electric streetlights.
According to the world-class Lutzka: "I am looking forward to the Maloof world championship this year as I think it’s going to be better than ever! The head-to-head format is like no other event out there. It really shows a mortal-combat style – something so different and fun to watch you ranking yourself up to the top.
"The Maloofs are taking the cup global and taking skateboarding to a whole new level! It’s the only contest that is truly a frenzy and so fast-paced that it keeps the fan interest throughout.”
Kimberley is a relaxed country town that is most famous for the Big Hole – a 240m-deep former mining site – as well as for being the 1st place in the southern hemisphere to enjoy electric streetlights.
In addition to visiting the Big Hole, activities in the area include:
- Take a trip from City Hall to the mining district in a vintage tram
- Bridge swinging in Barkly West (20km from Kimberley)
- Getting up close and personal with the lions of Tarentaalrant Safari Lodge
- Game viewing drives
- River rafting and hiking trails
For evening entertainment in Kimberley, you can consider the venues below.
The Half, Flowing Fountain, 129 Flamingo andEkhaya Pub.
Changes, Kim-By-Nite, Destiny, Wac Jaw, Oupas Tavern, Black Diamond.
To find out more about the Northern Cape province, in terms of where to stay and what to do, visit its official tourism website.
Skateboarding for Hope
Skateboarding for Hope is an initiative aimed at offering skateboarding as an alternative lifestyle solution to the youth. A nationwide roadshow will take place in conjunction with the Maloof Money Cup. See details below, courtesy of Peridot Communications.
- Menlyn Park Shopping Centre, Pretoria, on 28 July
- Riverside Mall, Nelspruit, on 4 August
- Upington, Northern Cape, on 11 August
- De Aar, Northern Cape, on 18 August
- Greenacres Shopping Centre, Port Elizabeth, on 26 August
- Stoneridge Centre, Edenvale, Johannesburg on 1 September
- Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Cape Town, 8 to 9 September
- Springbok, Northern Cape, on 15 September